SAGE Q & A (Subject Specific)
Q: What is the estimated time for the Reading Portion?
- Reading, Listening, and Language will be approximately 90 minutes for all grades 3rd through 11th.
Q: What is the estimated time for the Writing Portion?
- The writing portion is new for FY 2014. It will be approximately 60 minutes for grades 3 through 5 and 90 minutes for grades 6 through 11.
Q: Does the writing portion have to be completed in one sitting?
- SAGE writing can be paused and resumed another day; it does NOT have to be completed in one sitting like DWA.
Q: There are 2 passages that students will read and have a written response for. Will the screen reader read these passages, or is this considered to be a comprehension passage, therefore, the screen reader will not read it to the students?
- Text-to-Speech will be available for all sections of the summative assessment, for items where it does not violate the construct. The writing items will have text-to-speech for the texts and prompt provided.
Q: Are students allowed to look up words in dictionaries during the writing test?
- No. It is unethical to allow students to use unauthorized resources to find answers, including dictionaries, thesauruses, mathematics tables, online references, etc.
Q: Where do we access the instructions for using the SAGE Summative Calculators?
- The SAGE portal (sageportal.org) now includes instructions for accessing and using the calculator(s) that will be available to students during SAGE Summative testing. Please see "SAGE Calculators Manual" at: http://sageportal.org/resources/?section=5
Q: May I give my students a Math Reference Sheet?
- No. Please see "Mathematics Reference Sheet Policy" at: http://sageportal.org/resources/?section=5