BJB Qualifications and Responsibilities of the Superintendent
The Board shall appoint the Superintendent on the basis of outstanding professional qualifications.
The Superintendent shall hold an administrative/supervisory license issued by the State Board of Education.Utah Code § 53G-4-301(2) (2018)
Oath of office
The Superintendent shall take the constitutional oath of office.Utah Code § 53G-4-301(6) (2018)
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, obey and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of Utah, and that I will discharge the duties of my office with fidelity.”Article IV, Section X, Utah State Constitution
The Superintendent shall be the educational leader and administrative manager of the District. The Superintendent shall implement the policies established by the Board, including:
- Hearing employee, student, parent and community concerns in accordance with Board policies;
- Setting an exemplary standard to promote educational excellence and work harmoniously with the Board to set educational goals and objectives reflecting the philosophy of the Board.
- Reviewing and evaluating all aspects of the District’s educational program, including facilities, and reporting any areas of concern or potential problems.
- Attending and participating in all meetings of the Board except when the Superintendent's employment or salary is under consideration, or when the Board is acting in its judicial capacity.
- Serving as the Board's chief executive officer; ensuring the development and maintenance of appropriate educational programs designed to meet the needs of students.
The Superintendent shall serve as the chief budget officer for the District, which includes preparing the annual operating budget recommendations and implementing the Board-approved budget.Utah Code § 53G-7-302(1)(a)(i) (2018)