BBG-Compensation and Expenses
Each member of the Board of Education, shall receive a salary of $7,800 per year, payable monthly, as compensation for services.
Health insurance benefit
Each member of the Board of Education, shall be eligible to participate in the district’s health insurance programs during the term of service as a Board member if the Board member pays the corresponding premium for the level of coverage they desire (i.e. single, family, etc.).
Reimbursement to board members for travel expenses for attendance at regional, state, or national conventions, conferences, and workshops shall be made by the District when attendance is authorized and deemed by the Board to be necessary or desirable in carrying out the educational functions of the District. Each member shall submit an itemized account of necessary travel expenses for Board approval. Such travel expenses shall be reimbursed at the rates established by the State Division of Finance for members of the State Board of Education.
Board members shall also be compensated for necessary expenses incurred by them on behalf of the School District in the discharge of their duties as board members.
Utah Code § 53E-3-202(3) (2018)
Public hearing for adoption or revising compensation schedules
Beginning on July 1, 2007, before adopting a new Board member compensation schedule or amending an existing schedule, the Board shall first hold a public hearing on the proposed compensation schedule or schedules at which all interested persons shall be given an opportunity to be heard.
In addition to satisfying the notice requirements for an open Board meeting, the Board shall also meet the specific notice requirements for a public hearing on Board member compensation (see Policy BEA). These include:
- Notice of the time, place, and purpose of the meeting shall be provided at least seven days prior to the meeting by:
- Publication at least once in a newspaper published in the county where the school district is situated and generally circulated within the school district; and
- Publication on the Utah Public Notice Website created in Utah Code
Section 63F-1-701; and
- Posting a notice:
- At each school within the school district,
- In at least three other public places within the school district; and
- On the Internet in a manner that is easily accessible to citizens that use the Internet
The Board may not pay the travel expenses of spouses and other persons who have no responsibilities or duties to perform for the Board when they accompany Board members to Board-related activities.